Our English-speaking team of compassionate counselors are experts in building resilience in young adults by providing the care, skills and support they need.
MENTAL HEALTH TODAY
Worldwide 10-20 % of children and adolescents experience mental disorders. Half of all mental illness begin by the age 14 and three-quarters by mid-20s (World Health Organization 2017 Report). Our mission is to support international students with exceptional mental health support to gain the most of their academic career. Our team of compassionate counselors employ a solutions-focused approach and work with each student’s unique profile to help them reach their academic potential.
SERVICES WE OFFER:
- Counseling for emotional disorders: depression, anxiety, stress
- Social and relationship guidance: conflict transformation, effective communication, healthy boundaries, etc.
- Transitioning support: Culture shock, adjustment disorder and support for students of color
- Health and well-being coaching: mindfulness coaching, life coaching, work-life balance
- Academic support: Academic writing, organisational skills, special needs support (dyslexia, executive functioning issues, ADD/ADHD)
- Guidance for staff, faculty and parents
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS FOR A UNIVERSITY?
- Improved retention rates
- Boosted enrollment through unique support offerings
- Increased student resilience
- Better academic performance – improved planning skills and lower stress
- Reduced pressure on staff to counsel students in need
- Bolstered campus safety
- Diverse mental health specialists with a range of counseling styles and cultural backgrounds
- Native English-speaking, Hebrew and Chinese native speakers available upon request
- Sessions may be flexibly held on campus, online, at selected cafes or at the Linden Friedrichstrasse offices
- Flexible hours outside of typical working times
- Well-equipped, light, and central rooms for counseling, group work, and seminars in Berlin
- Expertise working with young people via secure video and online platforms
- Individual and group sessions
- Strict privacy and confidentiality policies
- A strong network of all English-speaking mental health professionals in Berlin (psychiatrists, clinical psychologists, etc)
- Provide consultation and guidance to faculty and parents/guardians regarding students of concern
- Appointments are scheduled within 24 hours of each request
- Secure administrative access to scheduling and billing system via TeachWorks
- Semester evaluation reports on student satisfaction with counseling services
- One specific head counselor assigned to coordinate and streamline communication
- Discount on workshops related to international living and learning available for participating schools. Topics include: mindfulness, organizational skills, stress & time management, culture shock and relationship guidance
Click Mental Health Brochure Oct2018 to download our brochure here
Click Linden_University Counsellors Oct2018 to read more about our counselors
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE FIRST SESSION?
In the first appointment, students will discuss issues, challenges, concerns, goals or any other information that will help the counselor better understand the situation. Students will then work together with the counselor to identify whether and how to move forward. This will take approximately 45–50 minutes.
HOW LONG IS A SESSION?
A single session usually lasts for 50 minutes. Sometimes a concern can be resolved in one meeting; other times more appointments can be helpful. Ongoing counseling appointments are typically scheduled weekly or every other week also depending on the number of hours purchased.
WHO ARE THE COUNSELORS?
Our counselors, coaches and psychologists come from Australia, Austria, Taiwan, Israel, Nigeria, UK, and the USA with experience living and working around the world. They are highly qualified specialists with a passion for supporting all students in a safe and non-judgemental environment.
WHAT LANGUAGES DO YOU WORK IN?
We have counselors who work in English, Hebrew, and Mandarin.
CAN STUDENTS CHOOSE THEIR COUNSELORS?
We understand the importance of finding the “best fit” specialists for your students and we offer diverse teams to meet a wide range of cultural backgrounds and needs. If a student does not feel comfortable with a counselor, we will make every effort to find a better fit.
DO YOU SUPPORT STAFF, FACULTY & PARENTS?
Yes, we offer counseling and guidance for staff, faculty, and parents of students receiving counseling. We also offer brief solution-focused coaching for staff as it relates to their professional work.
DO YOU OFFER GROUP WORK?
Yes, we offer group sessions and workshops.
HOW LONG DOES A STUDENT HAVE TO WAIT TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT?
We are generally able to schedule students on a day and time of their choice within a week; however, there are times during the semester when there is a large influx of students and appointment slots may be less flexible.
We are unable to offer walk-ins, but students may contact us for immediate support and we will do our best to schedule an appointment right away.
HOW ARE SESSIONS SCHEDULED?
Depending on the needs of a university, students can gain access to services through a dean or specified staff member or, alternatively, if preferred students can directly request counseling appointments through a secure and confidential online system. The university may determine how the allocated hours are to be used.
WHAT HAPPENS IF A STUDENT MISSES AN APPOINTMENT?
Counselors close a session after 30 minutes if a student does not show. Sessions cancelled less than 24 hours in advance will be recorded on Teachworks, the scheduling system, and counted as used. Exceptions may be made in emergency situations or in cases of illness.
WHERE CAN SESSIONS BE HELD?
Sessions can be held on campus, at our comfortable counseling rooms in Mitte, in selected cafes in Berlin, or online.
ARE SESSIONS CONFIDENTIAL?
Yes. Client confidentiality is extremely important to us. However, if a student is at risk of harm to themselves or others, we will contact and inform a school administrator.
WHAT ABOUT DATA PROTECTION?
Linden is committed to protecting the privacy of our clients and is a GDPR compliant company. All data is stored on GDPR compliant platforms. Our pledge is to safeguard any information we collect associated with students and staff. Our online platforms are also HIPPA compliant. You can read about our data protection policy and practices on our website.
HOW DOES PRICING WORK?
Our services are contracted on subscription by academic institutions based on the level of support they need. For example, some schools or universities purchase 40-120 hours of support on a monthly basis. Some institutions may choose to pay part of the fee for individual students.
HOW MANY SESSIONS CAN A UNIVERSITY PURCHASE?
Our standard packages start at 40 sessions per month, but we can offer individualized solutions based on an institution’s need. Subscriptions are also available from 20 to 120 sessions per month.
CAN I INCREASE OR DECREASE A PACKAGE SUBSCRIPTION?
Yes, hours may be adjusted at any point during the 1 month trial period. After the trial period it may be possible to add additional hours upon written request.
CAN STUDENTS PURCHASE THEIR OWN COUNSELING PACKAGE SUBSCRIPTIONS?
Yes, individual parents or students can purchase package subscriptions by getting in touch with us via email email@example.com or call us on +49 (0) 30 239 22067
WHAT IS THE PACKAGE SUBSCRIPTION CANCELLATION POLICY?
The package may be cancelled at any point during the 1 month trial period.
TRACKING PACKAGE SUBSCRIPTIONS & EVALUATIONS
Our scheduling system allows institutions to view their account usage at any time. Linden projects are accompanied by thorough evaluations of our efficacy to ensure that we are meeting the goals of our clients. Academic institutions with package subscriptions receive an evaluation student satisfaction at the end of every semester.
WHAT HAPPENS IF WE DON’T USE UP ALL THE HOURS?
Hours do not automatically roll over to the following month.
IS THERE A TRIAL PERIOD?
Yes. We offer free consultations to get to know the counselors.
Additionally, institutions may begin with a 1 month trial period in which they can cancel the contract with Linden at any time with no additional fees. After the trial, contracts run for 12 months.